Wednesday 17 October 2012

Beach Holiday & Pohutukawa Blessing

I so prefer summer drenching me with sweat than the whipping these October winds are giving me!

My perfect introduction to summer was the Writers' Retreat in Ohope Beach at the beginning of this month, where I couldn't help but write some beach poems.  From the poems I wrote then, I have decided to post one or two a day for the next ten days as a kick start to my blog.  I was experimenting with different poetic techniques and forms, so:
  • "Beach Holiday" is a five-stanza poem with a reducing number of lines in each stanza from five to one.  The aim was to make form and idea work well together.
  • "Pohutukawa Blessing" was an exercise to write a blessing (or a curse) in a well-known form (in this case, limerick).

Beach Holiday

Head full of nothing, something,
everything to remember to take:
undies, toothbrush, clothes, pyjamas,
not enough washing done.  Dramas!
Can we fit everything in?

Settling to the rhythm of the open road,
audiobook tells us of Frog and Toad,
one asleep, two asleep, time for a chat,
suddenly remembering I forgot my hat.

Been a long time coming, yes, we're nearly there,
find the right number, yes, it must be here!
Pull up, tumble out, stretch the legs, look about.

Check it out!  Bed claim, bag dump, fridge food?
Togs on, towels out, locking up, we're out.

On the beach.  Swim.  Stretch.  Sigh.  Stop.


Pohutukawa Blessing

May your limbs always grow gnarly
Your green hues never lose their variety
May your shade be my haven
Your height be my heaven
Red kisses my holiday glory.



 

What special place in NZ do these two poems take you to?  Or did a summer memory just make you smile?  Perhaps write a poem about your experience and post it here!


BY JEANETTE JONES
 

No comments:

Post a Comment