Tuesday 13 November 2012

Beckoning


The dazzling blue-gold day
reaches down from far, far away
between the forbidding high-rises
amongst the shades of grey.

The warm, slim finger of light
searches the streets still cold with night,
over the heads of down-turned eyes
to find my shoulder – tap, tap, tap...

The down-turned eyes shoot from side to side
around the back but not up high
“Who are you, stranger, where are you?”, say I,
brushing a light speck from my shoulder.

The long blue fingers of warmth
then run to play hide and seek,
shout "Boo!" like playful children
as I turn the corner, blind.

Surrounded by fun-loving laughter of sun
I finally say, “I know you, my friend
for you are the one, who reminds me to stray
far, far away from the dull, dark grey,

into the fields and trees of green,
to drink the fragrances, smell the stream,
yes, you are the one who reminds me to stay
far, far from the blues in a golden day”.


BY JEANETTE JONES

 


No comments:

Post a Comment